Meet Your SMPDSanta Maria Police Council
SMPD Mission Statement
In partnership with the community, we will provide impartial, ethical, and professional law enforcement services. We will take a leadership role in forming collaborative community efforts to find the long-term solution for the reduction of crime through prevention. We will strive to maintain the trust, understanding, and confidence of our residents, while working to improve the quality of life.
Chief Phillip Hansen
- M. L. University of Southern California
- B.S. California State University, Northridge
- Chief of Police, City of Santa Maria
- Police Commander, City of Santa Maria
- Captain, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
- Lieutenant, Sergeant & Deputy Sheriff, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
- Director Emeritus, National Tactical Officer’s Association
- California Association of Tactical Officers
- California Police Chief’s Association
- Married for 42 years with two adult children
- Member of First Presbyterian Church, SLO
- Scuba diver, distance swimmer, dog lover and poor golfer
Mark Schnieder SMPC Liaison
Commander Mark Schneider is assigned to Santa Maria Police Department Patrol Division as a Watch commander, where he maintains oversight of the Canine Units and Training Bureau. Mark also serves as a Team Commander/Lieutenant for Santa Maria Police Department’s SWAT team.
SMPD Officer of the Year
An Officer of the Year is selected for his or her hard work, excellence and dedication to the SMPD as well as the community.
The 2018 Officer of the Year is Detective Seann Woessner
SM Police Explorers
Our Explorer Program is for young men and women interested in learning about future careers in the field of law enforcement. Designed for students between the ages of 14 and 21, the Explorer Program offers youths the opportunity to be involved in their community while making new friends and gaining valuable knowledge.